Friday, February 6, 2009

Trade Needs: Eastern Conference

With another off day for the Pistons, I am bored. Since every NBA fan is in a tizzy about the trade deadline coming up, I figure I might as well try to figure out what each teem needs. I will start with the Eastern Conference. Eventually, I will do the Western Conference, and then later, I will look at what each team is willing to give up.

Atlanta Hawks:
I believe with one more piece, this team could be legitimate. They got valuable playoff experience last year and I think they could win at least one playoff series this year. Currently they would be matched up with the Pistons. I believe that this team needs an actual center to contend. Al Horford could slide down to power forward, and Smith could be a SF.

Boston Celtics:
They really don't have a major need, but the Lakers just exposed them. If anything, I think they should add a veteran PF or C, just in case KG gets in foul trouble. However, they should be set with Powe and Big Baby

Charlotte Bobcats:
I think this team has a good shot at making the playoffs. If the new guys start to play together well, they are an average team. I think they would be better if they added a PF or C. Okafor can play either, but Diaw is best at SF, or coming off the bench. They also need a bench wingman.

Chicago Bulls:
Just looking at the Bulls roster, they have one of the largest collections of starting caliber players of any team. They are of course missing a legitimated big man. Noah has not proven that he can play center. Other than that, there is no reason why they shouldn't be winning games, other than Vinny Del Negro

Cleveland Cavaliers:
I don't see this team making a trade before the deadline, but they could really help themselves out if they did. I think they could definetly upgrade at the SG position. Sasha Pavlovic plays defense, but a threat at that position would make them very dangerous. However, Delonte West will be back shortly

Detroit Pistons:
The Pistons sadly have many needs. First and foremost, a big man. They need somebody who will bang in the low post and grab double digit rebounds every night. If not that, then we need a distributor, a point guard that is not shoot first. Also, we could use a back up point guard.

Indiana Pacers:
Like almost every other team, the Pacers need a good big man. It could be a a PF or a C, because they have complementary big men, Jeff Foster and Troy Murphy who are capable of starting, but are not good scoring options. A first rate shooter would also help this team out.

Miami Heat:
Even with this team's vast improvement, they still have two big holes. One is a good starting point guard. Not necessarily a distributor, but a good ball handler. Chalmers can start, but if they are serious, they need a better point. Even more of a concern, they need a center. They do not have one decent center. Udonis Haslem can't do it all by himself.

Milwaukee Bucks:
Well this looked like a playoff team, but I don't see them getting there without Michael Redd. I think they would be best off at just trying to get younger and athletic. They should not view themselves as contenders. A young SG or C would be nice

New Jersey Nets:
This team could make a playoff push. But they are not even closer to serious contenders with the current forwards they have. I don't think they should try to build a good team at the deadline right now either because they are more than a few pieces away. Their whole bench is pretty underwhelming too.

New York Knicks:
I think this can be a legitimate playoff team...next year. Mike D'Antoni is starting to work his magic, but they need to get some playoff experience before they can make some serious noise. If they don't trade Lee, I think he is okay at C. I would like him to play PF, but with him there, they are quick. However, they really need a SG. This would allow them to put Q-Rich at SF and Jared Jeffries to the bench.

Orlando Magic:
This team is playing well beyond their expectations. I don't think I would mess with that. I would just hope that Jameer Nelson's return is the boost they need for a playoff push. A backup big man would help for the playoffs too.

Philadelphia 76ers:
The Elton Brand experiment did not work this season. I think I just throw out this season and hope that next is better. However, I think they should consider trading for a SF. Iguodala should be a SG, and Willie Green should be benched

Toronto Raptors:
Well, so much for my prediction about the Raptors going to the Finals. Jermaine O'Neal has been a huge, huge disappointment. If they can get a SG or SF for him, than I would pull the trigger. They need to set up an inside-outside threat, somebody that can slash. A backup PG and PF are needed as well

Washington Wizards:
The Wizards are in a really weird situation. They think they have the current team to compete in the East, but Agent Zero keeps screwing them over. They really need a center, but who doesnt? I think they should consider any trade sent there way, because they need a breath of fresh air into the team.

For a different perpective, Hoopsworld also did this.

No comments:

Post a Comment